The North Country Food Co-Op is seeking a produce manager/buyer. This is a full time position (32 – 40 hours per week).
Hours: Generally 8am – 4pm Monday through Friday. Weekend availability is a plus but not required at this time. The co-op is a growing and expanding business and may require a schedule change within one year of hiring date.
Job Summary: The produce manager will be responsible for ensuring that the North Country Food Co-Op’s (NCFC’s) produce department is the best it can be. This person will be responsible for all facets of the produce retail environment including, but not limited to, ordering, receiving, stocking, facing, displays and rotation of product, in addition to being keen upon the local produce scene and tending to customer service needs.
Supervisor: General Manager
- Ability to maintain a consistent schedule.
- Must be able to stand and walk for long periods of time.
- Must be able to lift up to 50lbs consistently and regularly.
- Ordering & Receiving:
- Must be prepared to take regular inventories of produce area and place orders as required to multiple produce vendors.
- Should be somewhat knowledgeable of local vendors and general availability of locally grown produce such that orders are placed in a timely fashion as the seasonal varieties dictate.
- Should be prepared to order and display new items as seasonally appropriate.
- Must be ready to help unload deliveries as needed. The NCFC does not have a loading dock.
- Must be available to check in produce as it arrives to ensure proper order delivery.
- Stock displays to give appearance of a full, vibrant look and appeal.
- Rotate stock as needed to ensure quality displays and products.
- Pull items of unacceptable quality. Keep proper amount of fresh products on the displays without overcrowding.
- Update displays as needed: Be prepared to alter displays as local produce becomes seasonally available.
- Wash, soak, bundle and package up produce for displays as needed.
- Sort and label dry produce for displays as needed.
- Keep orderly back stock area in walk-in cooler; clearly label containers of produce such that they can be found and stocked easily.
- Keep produce prep room clean and tidy after each shift. Clean and put back knives, buckets, tables, etc.
- Remove trash to the proper bins as needed. Remove cardboard to proper recycling bins as needed.
- Customer Service:
- Since we are a smaller store, the produce manager/buyer will be trained on the registers and must be ready to assist the cashiers at the front if needed.
- Must be able to field questions and customer requests relating to produce as needed.
- Must have professional, kind demeanor towards our member-owners and customers.
- Other Responsibilities:
- Attend staff meetings and events as required.
- Perform other tasks as needed and directed by the General Manager.
- In cooperation with the General Manager, the produce manager may need to dictate his/her stocking responsibilities to other staff members when not on duty.
- If unfamiliar with produce: Complete a basic online course on produce management, i.e., prep, handling, ordering, etc., called “Albert’s University.”
- Experience and/or previous knowledge of retail and/or retail produce environment is preferred but not required.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Good spatial awareness.
- Basic arithmetic skills.
- Demonstrated ability to follow directions and follow through on tasks.
- Ability to focus on the whole (i.e., displays), while keeping on top of the minor details (i.e., produce that needs culling).
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Willingness to get a bit dirty and wet.
- Ability to stand, squat, lift, bend and reach as the job requires.
- A willingness to have some fun!
The North Country Food Co-Op is currently accepting applications for this position. Wage is commensurate with experience. If you are interested in this position, please email your cover letter, three references (at least one professional), and resume or CV to email@example.com with the subject heading: Produce Manager Position.
This position listing will stay open until June 9th, 2017, or until filled.